Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Very Bad Day - December 2009

One Saturday morning Leah woke up late. “I already missed my TV show,” she moaned to herself. This wasn’t her favorite way to start a Saturday. Later, as she poured some juice for herself, she accidentally spilled it all over her brand new shirt. Leah’s day was not looking good. As Leah was mopping up her mess, her friend Stephanie called. “We decided to cancel the Christmas caroling party tonight,” she told Leah. “What?! But I was looking forward to it,” Leah moaned. “I was, too,” Stephanie commiserated. “But Pastor James said the weather could be bad tonight. It won’t be a good night for caroling.” Disappointed, Leah said goodbye and hung up.
Later that evening, Leah went across the street to deliver hot cocoa and cookies to Mrs. Gibson. Mrs. Gibson’s husband had died two years before, and Leah visited her often. Tonight as she walked in to Mrs. Gibson’s, Mrs. Gibson said, “Hi, Leah! Come in! Isn’t it a beautiful day?” Still disappointed by her day, Leah answered, “How can you call it beautiful? It’s icy and dark and…wet,” she finished as she took off her wet coat. “All days are beautiful, whether the turn out like we want them to or not,” Mrs. Gibson smiled. “I don’t understand,” Leah said. “I always remember that no matter what is going wrong with my day, I still have the promise of eternal life because of Jesus’ Christmas gift to us. Because Jesus paid my ransom and brought me to faith in Him, I know that I have an eternal reward waiting for me in Heaven. Nothing can change that – not even the worst day ever,” she added with a smile.
Leah was thoughtful as she returned home. If Mrs. Gibson could still be joyful when her husband was gone and she lived alone, then maybe Leah could find joy in God’s love for her even when her day wasn’t going as planned. Leah sighed. I still wish I could go caroling tonight, she thought. Then Leah had an idea.
About thirty minutes later, Mrs. Gibson’s doorbell rang. When she opened the door, there stood Leah and her family. “Merry Christmas!” Leah said. “Do you mind if we sing some Christmas carols?” “Not at all,” Mrs. Gibson smiled. “I’d enjoy that.” With a smiling face and a joy-filled heart, Leah joined her family in singing “Joy to the world, the Lord is come…”

No comments:

Post a Comment