Monday, April 26, 2010

Friendship Frustrations



“Did you hear that, Larissa?!” Hallie excitedly asked her friend as they walked to their homes after piano lessons.
“I did,” Larissa replied, but she didn’t seem to fully share her friend’s enthusiasm.
“Mrs. Ellison said I have ‘fantastic dynamics’ and…and…oh, what was the other thing?”
“Advanced sightreading” Larissa finished. “I know. You’ve already told me twice.”
“Oh, you’re just jealous,” Hallie shrugged off her friend’s frustration.
“What?!” Larissa was shocked at her friend’s accusation. “Well, you’re just a snob!” she retorted.
“A snob?! I am not! I’m just a better piano player and you know it!”
“Never mind, Hallie, I’m going home. I don’t want to be friends with a snob.”
“Fine! Bye!” Hallie stormed home in a fury.

At home, Hallie moped in her room as she mentally justified her actions and words with Larissa. Even Mrs. Ellison recognized my talented playing. If Larissa were a good friend, she’d compliment me instead of being jealous, she told herself. I’m not a snob! I was only repeating what other people said. Just then, Hallie’s brother Logan appeared at her door. “Dad says it’s time for family devotions,” he said. “Coming,” Hallie sulked.

“Okay, everyone. Tonight’s reading is in Luke 22. Who can get there first?” Hallie’s dad challenged as Hallie sat down on the couch. Hallie didn’t feel like competing, so Logan beat her easily. “Okay, Logan, you win. You can read first,” Hallie’s dad praised Logan. As Logan read, Hallie’s mind drifted back to her argument with Larissa. Then her dad’s voice broke into her thoughts. “Your turn, Hallie. Logan stopped after verse 23.” Hallie began reading.
“Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. Jesus said to them, ‘The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves”’ (Luke 22:24-27).

“What do you guys think of the passage?” Hallie’s dad asked his family.
“I think it was silly for the disciples to argue about who was better,” Hallie’s mom said.
“Yeah. They were with Jesus – and He’s greater than everyone!” Logan added.
“That’s right,” Hallie’s dad smiled. “Think of all they could have been learning and how they could’ve been helping each other – and instead they were pridefully arguing about who was the best!” Hallie re-read v. 24 to herself: “Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest.” Sounds familiar, she thought.

After family devotions, Hallie was again in her room, pondering her argument with Larissa. This time, though, her thoughts were different. Recognition isn’t that important…True friends put each other before themselves, and I wasn’t doing that…

It seemed to Hallie that her resolve was leaving her as she walked to Larissa’s house. With trembling hands she rang the doorbell. She had never been this nervous in her life – not even at a piano recital. What if she’s still mad at me? Hallie wondered. What if we’re never friends again? Her worries were cut short as she heard someone come to the door. It was Larissa. “Hello – oh. Hi, Hallie,” Larissa said quietly.
“Hi, Larissa. Do you have a minute?”
“Sure,” Larissa shrugged as she stepped outside.
Hallie took a deep breath. “I came to apologize,” she said. Larissa looked up. “True friends should put each other before themselves because God wants us to be humble servants, like Jesus was when He washed the disciples’ feet. I was putting myself first. I’m sorry, Larissa, for not being a good friend to you. Will you forgive me?”
Larissa dropped her gloomy countenance and grinned. “Of course I’ll forgive you. I wasn’t being a good friend, either. I’m sorry. I guess I was jealous – you do play the piano better than I do.”
Hallie smiled at Larissa. “Wanna come to my house?” she offered to Larissa.
“Sure,” Larissa replied. "Let's practice our duet."

As Hallie got in bed that night, she thought about her day. Larissa was a good friend – they had had so many good times together. Hallie felt foolish for ever having argued with Larissa. She was so glad she had swallowed her pride and asked for forgiveness. We have many more good times to look forward to, she smiled to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment